Translate blog

Sunday, April 13, 2014

WH Denies ’09 Fort Hood Victim's Request to Meet With Obama

As President Obama spoke of old "wounds” at Fort Hood this week, the White House declined a request from a survivor of the 2009 massacre there to meet with Obama for a few minutes so the veteran could explain face-to-face how he believes the government has mistreated and disrespected the victims of that attack.

Staff Sgt. Alonzo Lunsford (ret.) was shot seven times in November 2009 when Army psychiatrist Maj. Nidal Hasan opened fire at Fort Hood, killing 13 people. Despite Hasan’s admission that he carried out the attack on behalf of the Taliban and revelations that he had been in contact with high-profile al Qaeda recruiter Anwar al-Awlaki, the Department of Defense has refused to classify the shooting as “terrorism,” which the survivors claim in lawsuit against the government has meant they’ve been denied Purple Hearts and combat-related benefits afforded to victims of other terrorist attacks.

As you may know, the President and high-ranking members of the military promised me, my family and the other Fort Hood terror attack survivors that the federal government would 'make them whole.' After more than four and one-half years, however, the government has yet to make good on this promise,” Lunsford wrote to Obama’s Chief of Staff Denis McDonough a day before Obama's visit. 

“We believe that if the President could hear, first-hand, our plight and our mistreatment at the hands of his bureaucracy, that he would take the steps needed to set things right. Therefore, we ask for ten minutes of his time.”

The White House had announced days before that the President would be coming to Fort Hood this week to honor three people who were killed in another shooting earlier this month – this one carried out by an Army specialist with “mental health issues” who purportedly became enraged after an employee wouldn’t give him a leave of absence form. 

Obama did not meet with Lunsford ...  (Continues)

Friday, April 11, 2014

Ex CBS Reporter Sharyl Attkisson speaks up



One month ago. long-time investigative reporter Sharyl Attkisson left CBS amid rumors that she had grown frustrated with the network stifling her investigations. Thursday night on Bill O' Reilly's Fox News program she confirmed those rumors. "There is unprecedented, I believe, influence on the media, not just the news, but the images you see everywhere. By well-orchestrated and financed campaign of special interests, political interests and corporations. I think all of that comes into play."

After introducing his guest, O'Reilly asked Attkisson about her investigation into the Fast and Furious gun-running scandal.
The former CBS reporter asserted that she began to make inroads into the story but had to drop it:
(Continues)

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Sebelius Resigns; Obamacare in new low in latest poll.

Sebelius Resigns After Troubles Over Health Site

WASHINGTON — Kathleen Sebelius, the health and human services secretary, is resigning, ending a stormy five-year tenure marred by the disastrous rollout of President Obama’s signature legislative achievement, the Affordable Care Act.
Mr. Obama accepted Ms. Sebelius’s resignation this week, and on Friday morning, he will nominate Sylvia Mathews Burwell, the director of the Office of Management and Budget, to replace her, officials said. (Continues at NYT)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
 
On Thursday, a USA Today/Pew Research Center survey confirmed what most already know: the Affordable Care Act is not popular. 50 percent of respondents in that survey said they continue to disapprove of the ACA compared with 37 percent who approve of the law. That is largely stable from that survey’s results last month which found 53 percent disapproving and 41 percent approving of the ACA.

In fact, Pew’s results are consistent with other polls which have found broad disapproval of the law since it’s passage in 2010. Today, the Real Clear Politics average of opinion polls shows the ACA remains unpopular with an average of 52.2 percent of the public compared with an average of 39.8 who approve. (continues)

Monday, April 7, 2014

Palin & Stewart unite?

NEW YORK, April 7, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- In honor of National Volunteer Week (April 6-12), American Corporate Partners (ACP), a national nonprofit organization that connects post-9/11 veterans to business professionals for career guidance, announced the launch of its new radio ad campaign featuring Jon Stewart and Sarah Palin actually agreeing on something

Stewart and Palin have teamed up to draw attention to the fact that over the next five years, more than one million members of the U.S. military will return home from service, and each will need to successfully transition into the American private sector workforce – not just with a job, but with a true career path.  The importance of supporting our vets and scaling for this challenge is immense, and the Stewart/Palin ad (accompanied by #AgreeOnThis) drives home the notion that despite our differences, the importance of mentoring our vets is indisputable.    (Read more)     


Jon Stewart & Sarah Palin Agree on ACP AdvisorNet from ACP AdvisorNet on Vimeo.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Another Shooting Confirmed at Fort Hood Army Base

NBC News reports there may be two shooters, one down, one at-large

Multiple people have been injured and the search for the gunman is underway after a shooting at the Fort Hood Army post Wednesday afternoon.

Reports of an active shooter triggered a lockdown at Fort Hood, with local sheriff's deputies and the FBI immediately responding.

As many as eight people may be injured, and there may have been two shooters, NBC News reported. One of those was believed to be "down," while the second was believed to be at-large, according to NBC News.

Fort Hood confirmed that a shooting occurred at the base, though the number of people injured and the severity of their injuries has not been confirmed. (Continues)

 

SCOTUS Upholds First Amendment speech rights of contributors.

Washington, D.C>> The Supreme Court further loosened the reins on political giving Wednesday, ruling that big campaign donors can dole out money to as many candidates and political committees as they want as long as they abide by limits on contributions to each individual campaign.

In a 5-4 vote won by conservative justices, the court struck down limits in federal law on the total amount of money a contributor can give to candidates, political parties and political action committees.

The decision wipes away the overall limit of $123,200 for 2013 and 2014. It will allow the wealthiest contributors to pour millions of dollars into candidate and party coffers, although those contributions will be subject to disclosure under federal law. Big donors, acting independently of candidates and parties, already can spend unlimited amounts on attacks ads and other campaign efforts that have played an increasingly important role in elections.

The justices left in place limits on individual contributions to each candidate for president or Congress, now $2,600 per election.  (Continues)