Translate blog

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Giffords to step down from Congress, focus on recovery

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) is stepping down from Congress to focus full-time on her recovery from a shooting which left her severely injured, her office announced Sunday.

"I have more work to do on my recovery so to do what is best for Arizona, I will step down this week," Giffords announced in a video message posted on her website. "I am getting better," she added.

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer (R) announced that she would call a special election to fill Giffords's seat.

“Upon the Congresswoman’s office being officially declared vacant, I will call a special Primary and General Election in order to fill the 8th Congressional District vacancy, in accordance with Arizona law," said Brewer in a statement. "The winner will complete the remainder of Congresswoman Giffords’ term, which expires at the end of 2012.”  (Continues here)

No comments: