Translate blog

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Former Va. Gov. McDonnell and wife indicted on Federal Corruption Charges

Former Virginia Republican Gov. Bob McDonnell and wife Maureen were indicted Tuesday on federal corruption charges for allegedly accepting gifts, vacations and loans from a businessman seeking special treatment from the state for his fledgling business.

The 14-count indictment includes charges of conspiracy, wire fraud and false statements in connection with the McDonnells’ relationship to Jonnie R. Williams Sr., chief executive of nutritional supplements maker Star Scientific Inc.

The couple will be arraigned Friday morning.

Following announcement of the indictment, McDonnell called the allegations “false” and said he “deeply” regretted accepting “legal” gifts and loans and that he takes “full responsibility” for his poor judgment.

“However, I repeat emphatically that I did nothing illegal for Mr. Williams in exchange for what I believed was his personal generosity and friendship,” McDonnell said in a statement.

“I never promised -- and Mr. Williams and his company never received -- any government benefit of any kind from me or my administration. We did not violate the law, and I will use every available resource and advocate I have for as long as it takes to fight these false allegations.” (Continues)

No comments: