Translate blog

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Obama on ACORN: 'Not Something I've Followed Closely' Won't Commit to Cut Federal Funds

It was one of the most popular topics among the questions you submitted to me for my interview with President Obama – the controversy involving ACORN.
While the President said that ACORN "deserves to be investigated" in light of the "inappropriate" video that's gone viral, he did not endorse recent votes in Congress to cut off federal funding for the community group.
Here’s our FULL exchange:

STEPHANOPOULOS: How about the funding for ACORN?
OBAMA: You know, if -- frankly, it's not really something I've followed closely. I didn't even know that ACORN was getting a whole lot of federal money.
STEPHANOPOULOS: Both the Senate and the House have voted to cut it off.
OBAMA: You know, what I know is, is that what I saw on that video was certainly inappropriate and deserves to be investigated.
STEPHANOPOULOS: So you're not committing to -- to cut off the federal funding?
OBAMA: George, this is not the biggest issue facing the country. It's not something I'm paying a lot of attention to. (story and video here at ABC)

No comments: