Thursday, November 26, 2009
Bravo confirmed that its cameras were following and filming couple who crashed State Dinner
In a statement to The New York Times on Thursday, Bravo said that Half Yard Productions, the producers for the series “The Real Housewives of D.C.,” was under the impression that Michaele and Tarek Salahi, two polo-playing devotees of Washington’s social swirl and on-line social networks alike, had been invited to the biggest and most exclusive soiree to take place in Washington this year.
“The cast of ‘The Real Housewives of D.C.’ has not been finalized,” Bravo said in the statement. “Michaele Salahi is under consideration as a cast member, as such Half Yard Productions were filming the Salahis on that day. Half Yard was only aware that per the Salahis they had been invited as guests.”
A White House official, informed of Bravo’s statement, said that was not the case. “We’ve already confirmed that they weren’t invited,” he said.
A publicist for the couple, Mahogany Jones, said they would not comment formally for now.
“Their counsel, Paul W. Gardner Esq. states emphatically that the Salahis’ did not ‘crash’ this event,” the statement said. “We look forward to setting the record straight very soon."
Mr. Gardner, an entertainment lawyer, did not respond to a message left at his Baltimore office, which was closed for the holiday.
The Secret Service — which one Homeland Security official described as “completely embarrassed” by the incident — has begun an investigation into how the pair managed to get through multiple layers of high-level security to crash the affair, where they managed to rub shoulders, literally, with Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. and the White House chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel, among others. Edwin Donovan, a spokesman for the Secret Service who spent his Thanksgiving Day fending off phone calls from reporters, said the investigation was continuing, but would not discuss it in detail. (continues here at the NY Times)