Translate blog

Friday, December 11, 2009

Health care is missing millions

Congressional Budget Office figures that by 2019, long after the new programs kick in, the reforms will trim the ranks of the uninsured by just 57 percent -- leaving another 43 percent, or 24 million residents, without coverage.
And for this, Americans will have to cough up an extra $1 trillion over 10 years, starting next year (and $2.5 trillion in the 10 years following 2014, when the programs' benefits start going out).

For months, critics (like us) have cited ObamaCare's many horrors -- its massive job-killing taxes, the toll it'll take on seniors, its possibly fatal blow to the federal budget, the unmanageable burden it'll place on hospitals and doctors (not to mention their patients) . . .
But even if Americans are willing to endure such enormous pain, it's worth asking: Just what will they get in return?
Apparently, not much.
CBO estimated that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's bill will boost the share of Americans with coverage from about 81 to 92 percent by 2019.
But as Jeffrey Anderson noted on these pages recently, "only 5 percent of Americans are uninsured and making less than the median income" and "many among that 5 percent are already eligible for government programs."  (continues here)

No comments: