Translate blog

Monday, March 29, 2010

Ricky Martin announces he's gay

In a post made on his website Monday, Pop star Ricky Martin tells the world he is gay.

"Many people told me: 'Ricky it's not important,' 'it's not worth it,' 'all the years you've worked and everything you've built will collapse,' 'many people in the world are not ready to accept your truth, your reality, your nature.' Because all this advice came from people who I love dearly, I decided to move on with my life not sharing with the world my entire truth. Allowing myself to be seduced by fear and insecurity became a self-fulfilling prophecy of sabotage. Today I take full responsibility for my decisions and my actions.

"These years in silence and reflection made me stronger and reminded me that acceptance has to come from within and that this kind of truth gives me the power to conquer emotions I didn't even know existed.," he continued. "Every word that I write in this letter is born out of love, acceptance, detachment and real contentment. Writing this is a solid step towards my inner peace and vital part of my evolution. I am proud to say that I am a fortunate homosexual man. I am very blessed to be who I am."

In a recent admission noted by Billboard.com, celebrity newswoman Barbara Walters said she regretted trying to corner Martin to be straight about his sexuality in an interview in 2000. She admitted it may have killed his career. "In 2000, I pushed Ricky Martin very hard to admit if he was gay or not, and the way he refused to do it made everyone decide that he was," she told The Toronto Star. "A lot of people say that destroyed his career, and when I think back on it now, I feel it was an inappropriate question."

Walters went on to tell him: "You know, you could stop these rumors. You could say, as many artists have, 'Yes I am gay,' or you could say, 'No I'm not,' or you could leave it, as you are, ambiguous. I don't want to put you on the spot, but it's in your power to do it."

After years as a major pop star in Spanish-speaking countries, Martin skyrocketed to prominence in 1999 in the English-speaking world with his album, Ricky Martin.

The first single from the album, Livin' la Vida Loca, hit number one on the charts in several countries, including Canada, the U.S., Britain, India and Russia.

The album sold 22 million copies. (Source)

Women State:  Kudos to Martin! He is a great human being, a loving son and father. He has lead a decent and respectful life and has helped many around the world. He deserves to be openly happy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

we all knew it, long time ago

Unknown said...

Gay, straight, bi ... who cares...I want to see Ricky Martin make more videos with beautiful women, with great passionate story lines. Will this end because now we know about is personal life? Ricky Martin is a great singer, dancer and now it looks like he is also a great actor.... and I don't care to know the intimate details of his personal life... I just want the fantasy.